Monday, March 12, 2012

Green Tomato Chutney

I absolutely am delighted that I have picked the last of the produce from the vegie patch that requires any work at all to become a preserve. There is no more to do, the vegie patch is now pretty much dead & it just needs to be refreshed (yay!). Yesterday I cooked up 6kgs of green tomatoes & made a Green Tomato Chutney - 18 jars of the stuff. I don't think I have ever eaten a green tomato chutney before, so I look forward to trying this one.



Green Tomato Chutney

1kg cooking apples, chopped.
3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups raisins
2kg green tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp ginger, chopped
2 tbsp mustard seeds
6 allspice berries, crushed
1/2 tsp dry chilli, chopped
3 cups sugar
1 tbsp salt
4 cups vinegar
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan
  2. Bring to the boil.
  3. Simmer for about 3 hours, stirring frequently, especially towards the end of cooking.
  4. When it is thickening & you can stir a wooden spoon through it without any free liquid, it is done.
  5. Ladle into sterilised jars & seal.


No comments:

Post a Comment