Friday, April 30, 2010

April Book Club

I belong to the best book group ever, no lie. It is made up of women from diverse backgrounds & beliefs, & I thoroughly enjoy myself each time we catch up. There are 16 members, all wonderful in so many different ways, & all of whom enrich my life. We are a changing bunch - we have babies, start new careers, start new relationships, get married, buy houses & lose those we love. The really cool thing is that we do it all together, each month.

I thought that as a new rule for myself I should do a monthly book review, just to allow myself to waffle on. What a surprise!

The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas

I loved "The Slap". What a spectacular book, based on the story of a Melbourne family BBQ where one man slaps someone else's child. There are interwoven stories from the view of the different characters, & the subsequent fallout from that one event. The thing is - how would I react? Would I react like the Mother of the child? Would that make me right? A great read - I highly recommend this book

The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch

This book is the extension of a final lecture given by a professor faced with his imminent death from cancer. It is a true story, & the basis of it is awe inspiring. Apparently some Universities in the USA have their professors to this as a regular thing as part of their job, but Randy really was giving his "last lecture" & wanted a record for his young children. I made it to Chapter 8 & could do no more, not from sadness or distress, I just found him to be a boring writer. However, if I was his child, I would be blown away by the record of his/our story.

The Gift - Cecelia Ahern

Cecelia Ahern wrote the book "PS I Love You" which I totally loathed, but persisted in reading to try to "get it". I should have realised that "The Gift" would just be as awful, but I could always have been wrong? Nope. I wasn't. What a load of shite - far too many words wandering aimlessly on a page. I made it to Chapter 4 & gave up. I cannot even begin to tell you how I wish I could get back that 30 minutes of my life. A dreadful book.

2 comments:

  1. hey tan what a great post! i thought you might like the slap. it has a slight Testimony (Anita Shreve) feel to it and you liked that one too! i am loving a thousand splendid suns. love you heaps can't wait to play at next book club!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Hols xx Very much xx

    I knew YOU would like "A Thousand Splendid Suns", what a heart breaker of a book. How lucky are we to live where we live?? Can't wait to see where you & Bennie are going to live - CONGRATS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete