Sunday, September 19, 2010

"The Book Thief"


As you know, I am in a book group here - marvellous women, lots of fun & laughter & sometimes, the occasional chat about our books.

I finished reading "The Book Thief" today, & you MUST read it, it is absolutely one of the best books I have ever read.
Written by Markus Zusak, the narrator is Death, telling the story of how he collects the souls of the dead during World War II.



Death focuses on a little girl named Liesel & her life as a foster child who cannot read, but learns after she stole her first book, which she found near the grave site of her little brother. The premise sounds just awful, but trust me, this is an EXQUISITE book.

I found it very hard to try to read the first time, given the style of writing he uses as the character Death, but I gave it a second go, & am so glad I did. It is heartbreaking in it's descriptions & yet so uplifting & beautiful - you must read it & let me know what you thought of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment